Stewards achieves Full International Award
We are delighted to have achieved the Full International Award in recognition of the wide range of activities and links that connect pupils at Stewards with the wider world.
The International Dimension is a way of linking pupils and schools in different countries and even different continents. We all live in the 'Global Village', where new technology such as e-mail and the Internet allow people to communicate ideas around the world at the click of a button.
People now move into another country to work and live far more easily and often than 20 or 30 years ago. Money, workers, technology and ideas can move more freely across borders in both European countries and countries outside Europe.
Increasingly, our country is being linked to new, emerging economic superpowers outside Europe and North America, as well as our traditional commonwealth links to Africa and Australia.
We have established links with three schools:
- Puistola Comprehensive School - Finland
- Suzhou Zhenhua School - China
- Albert Camus College - France
China is perhaps the best example of an emerging power and is set to become the world's largest economy by 2040, taking the USA's place as the world's economic engine. So many things in our homes like TV's and mobile phones are now produced in China.
At Stewards, we are leading the way in realising how our pupils need to recognise the importance of the International Dimension. We shall help prepare them for work and life in the new global workplace. Our first step has been to develop a link with Suzhou Zhenhua School in Suzhou city, in Jiangsu province, China in May 2007.
The International School Award
This award recognises the work done by any UK school on the development of links with schools in different countries. It is awarded by the British Council.
The ISA encourages and supports schools to develop the following:
- An international ethos embedded throughout the school.
- A majority of pupils within the school impacted by and involved in international work.
- Collaborative curriculum-based work with a number of partner schools.
- Curriculum-based work across a range of subjects.
- Year round international activity.
- Involvement of the wider community.
- Evaluation from a variety of sources allowing you to improve your activities and your international programme.
- Provides ideas for developing collaborative curriculum-based international work with partner schools.
The ISA demands that the 'International Dimension' and links to your partner schools are embedded in the curriculum for all year groups.
The full ISA it is not just about organising exchange visits for small numbers of pupils, it is about ensuring all pupils have experience of links to your partner schools and the culture of those countries.
The ISA is split into three separate awards:
- Foundation award - we bypassed this award and achieved the Intermediate Award.
- Intermediate award - Stewards achieved this award for recognition of our work in promoting the International Dimension in October 2008.
- Full award - until 2016
Reaccreditation for the full Award was achieved in 2013 until 2016
We continue to work to provide exciting opportunities for our pupils to learn more about the culture and way of life in other countries.