Aims & Ethos
'Together we achieve more'
The Physical Education Department sees Stewards School as a place:
- Where everyone works together.
- Where a safe setting for learning and social interaction is provided.
- Where all students are challenged and encouraged to do all, and be all that they can be.
- Where teachers and students are supported and respected.
- Which responds to social change as the Physical Education Department strives to become the finest educational, physical education and recreation department within the town.
- Being aware of and respecting individual differences, we promote professional, social and ethical responsibility.
Rationale for Physical Education
The Physical Education department rationale at Stewards School reflects the school ethos towards all aspects of education of the individual. Caring for the individual by personal development and promoting academic excellence.
All members of the department firmly believe that by providing the opportunity for all pupils to be active and involved in regular physical activity, we are providing learning opportunities for pupils to develop a wide variety of different skills and personal attributes.
Physical Education develops pupils' physical competence and confidence and their ability to use these to perform in a range of activities. It promotes skillfulness, physical development and knowledge of the body in action. Physical Education provides opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and co-operative and face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams. It promotes positive attitudes toward healthy and active lifestyles. They learn how to plan, perform and evaluate actions, ideas and performances.
Emphasis in the majority of lessons is placed upon enjoyment, personal achievement and taking responsibility for their own learning. Pupils are regularly encouraged to participate in regular physical activity and sport outside the formal curriculum through the extensive range of extra-curricular activities inside and outside of school.
The aims and objectives of the PE Department relate directly to those of Stewards School as a whole: namely that we endeavour to provide an educational experience that is varied and available to all in it's delivery and content.
In order to do this we aim to:
- Stimulate and maintain pupil interest and enjoyment in PE and to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles.
- Enable pupils to be familiar with a body of knowledge, principles and vocabulary to relate to PE.
a) To enable pupils to see PE as:
- A major feature in our lives, related to employment, leisure and culture.
- Part of a wider body of knowledge and skills, eg, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
b) To enable pupils to:
- Understand and use safe practise and to appreciate its importance in PE.
- Understand the short and long term effects of exercise on the body.
- Understand the role of exercise in a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- Enable pupils to develop a range of desirable personal qualities such as safety, awareness, politeness, perseverance, concern for others, initiative and independence. The establishment of self-esteem through the development of physical confidence is a major aim for the Physical Education department.
- Enable pupils to work independently and as part of a group or team in varied activities so as PE contributes to the development of core skills such as communication by speech.
- Employ teaching methods and resources that will allow all pupils to have equal access to PE and to experience success and enjoyment in their PE work.
- Develop an awareness in pupils of the implications of sport and physical activity (past and present) for the individual and local, national and international communities.
- Allow pupils to develop informed opinions and be able to support them in a reasonable argument.