- Key Stage 3
- Key Stage 4
- Resistant Materials / Product Design
- City and Guilds Basic Construction Skills (6218)
Resistant Materials / Product Design
AQA Resistant Materials Technology
Students will develop a range of products in response to 5 core areas of:
- Designing & Making Skills
- Materials & Components
- Processes of Manufacture
- Design & Market Influences
- Sustainability of Design
Units of work include:
- Bookends inspired by an art movement (wood and clay)
- Bottle opener (metal and wood)
- Door signs (plastic using CAD/CAM)
- Sustainability project - Design a sustainable football stadium
- Bird boxes (wood) - Developing links with Geography and Science
- Perfume/Aftershave bottle project (prototypes)
Pupils will cover various modules building up a revision folder that will help them in preparation for their GCSE exam in year 11.
Pupils start their GCSE course work which includes the production of a low voltage lamp inspired by an art movement of their choice. The course work consists of twenty A3 pages that show the whole process from the design brief, research, designing, development, making and evaluation. Please see the template below.
AQA Product Design
The structure to Product Design is the same as Resistant Materials but the projects will have more focus on sustainability, social, moral and cultural issues, design and prototypes.
Pupils start their GCSE course work which includes the production of a product which is yet to be decided.